Sunday pre-game 10/2/2011

I'm so bearish on the metals this week that I'm becoming bulish.


Starting with commodities in general, I showed a few days ago how a very important level of support was destroyed on the CCI index. Well, the CRB below is no better. Does anyone expect to see it shoot right back up into the orange trend channel? I suppose if some kind of unexpected quantitative easing was announced tomorrow it would, but barring that, it looks headed at least down another 5% to the grey line. That wouldn't be so bad, but if that support fails, there's very left in the way of a 2008 type tanking.



Of course, gold and silver could go up while the CCI and the CRB continue to fall or move sideways. So how do those charts look?


Silver has bee able to stay mostly above the dotted grey center line in the new horizontal channel I added last week.



I still think we're gonna need several weeks above that grey line before anyone can even mention $36 silver again (and the $36 level should be strong resistance in itself). I think a bounce up is due (e.g. the RSI is under 30), but I expect heavy selling into any rally at this point. If $26 should be tested and break, the last line of support is $24, or the entire 2010-2011 explosion will be expunged. However, the recent news that JPM et al. are covering shorts at an uncanny rate is a sign that we probably won't go below $22-24. I for one would be loading the boat at those prices.

On the old weekly chart, note how the 34- week moving average (pink), which had been such reliable support (most recently in June), was as effective as the Maginot line. Also, note that the 55-week moving average (green), which had been back-up support during the few times the 34-week didn't hold, has now become resistance (at $33.32). A drop to $25 in the next month looks probable on this chart, does it not?





Here's the same trend channel on the long-term daily silver chart, with the same ominous aspect.



Even the long term silver chart with a more conservative trend channel looks poised for further downside action; the lower blue trend line looks to be on the verge of being broken emphatically. But let's keep the big picture in mind: even a 2008-like collapse down to $22 would mean that, only 3 years after the last financial crisis, silver's almost unthinkable low would still be higher than its 2008 "bubble" high.


As i've been saying, gold looks a lot better than silver so far. Note how well the blue line I fit to the 144-day moving average has served as support. Note also how the 144-day moving average appears to have been effective support last week. A lot of us were expecting that in the summer.



The lower black line of the trend channel on the weekly chart is still in tact:



As long as these levels hold, we are doing fine. However, I predict a weekly *close* at the lower black line, and perhaps a daily close some time in the next few weeks at the 144 or 150-day moving average.



Finally, looks to me like the gold:silver ratio is headed up to touch the upper blue trend line, at ~60. Again, keep the big picture in mind. There is a wide, but very steady 10 year decline in this ratio. I would not go selling physical silver any time soon.



6 comments:

Louis Cypher said...

Looks like everyone and their dog are going short on the general market trying to make up for losses in the recent downdraft. Which means everyone is right for a change? Can't decide if I am being contrary for the sake of it or it's a good thing.

GM Jenkins said...

This is a really tough market to trade. Bill Downey is talking about shorting gold if it hits $1680, expecting a test of $1600.

Silver's short term action was even harder to guess until I saw this from Wynter Benton:

"Our group GUARANTEES that silver will trade above $45 by November 30, 2011. No caveats, no excuses. The charts arent saying so but we are stating that silver will be above $(45) by November 30, 2011."

Now it's ridiculously easy!

Louis Cypher said...

The best lesson I ever learned is;
Sometimes the best trade is don't.
Patience and wait for the setup in other words. But the obvious play is to short which means I am heading to the coin dealer next Monday with my new interest free credit card and buying some Silver and Palladium if they have it. Thanks Citi bank. Hugs.
Of course I am just being contrary because now everyone is now waiting for $20 silver. So I'll plop down enough credits so that even if Silver drops to $20 I'll still be up over all. Not maxing out the card or anything :)

Margin hikes all over the place. Big banks getting squeezed and in need of more bailouts. Everyone terrified of 2008 deja vu. It sure smells like QE in the wind.

Greece I am sick of hearing about. Just burn the place down and claim the insurance. That's what I would do if it was my place. Apologies to my friend Yotis but your country is a lunatic asylum and the cuckoos are running the show.

Warren James said...

.. Yep, no gift quite like the Benton Guarantee!! They also promised to spike the price of silver 'like JPM' but were ambiguous about the direction. This time at least, they are recommending stop losses. Well thank goodness for that, clear direction and strong leadership! That is one hell of a shits and giggles trip the writer is having.

@Louis - sage advice. 'Hold' is currently the strategy in this camp (not the metals on credit part).

and ditto re: Greece, if only I had a dollar for every opinion I've read about the Euro being doomed ...

Louis Cypher said...

There are a couple of advantages to the 0% Credit card strategy.
1. No margin calls
2. Can't be shaken out with volatility
3. 100% leverage. Pure profit in other words after gas money.
4. Can sit as long as necessary until I am proven correct.

Disadvantages:
1. Can only bet in one direction
2. Not as liquid as the coin dealer only operates 9-5

If I was really evil I could take my credit cards and clean out the coin dealer and then say f.u. to the credit card companies.

Louis Cypher said...

Should add to the disadvantage column that the buy and sell spread is going to be a couple of percentage points as well.